Reasons for bad file formats
prev | up |
- Commercial advantage -Proprietary word/spreadsheet formats.
- Some compression possibilities.
- Support of clever algorithms (b-tree).
- Close intertwining with existing code.
- Love of persistent turing machines- cf XML-versus Java.
- Wrapped file formats (ole storage).
- OS bigotry. (e.g. *nix proudly distains good fixed-length record management. Docfiles implements at the same level as a file system in Windows. The api is on the same level as open!).